New Beauty Council at Gallery Index
Staging Herstories and Futures
On October 23rd NBC – The New Beauty Council gives a lecture and performs a workshop at Gallery Index, Kungsbro strand 19, Stockholm.
The event is a co-arrangement between Architecture in Effect and the course Architecture and Gender, Critical Studies in Architecture at KTH.
Time: 4-7 pm
The event is public, however space is limited, so please be on time (or before). SUBWAY T-Centralen EXIT Centralstationen, Klarabergsviadukten alt: SUBWAY Rådhuset EXIT Kungsholmsgatan
In this lecture NBC specifically addresses the subject of the construction of taste, beauty and ugliness. Another aspect brought forward is how we can change the experience of the urban landscape through artistic tactics, with alternative movements and by taking place with our bodies. We also talk about how value only exists if someone or something articulates it. How are, for example, values of tolerance and intolerance articulated in the city scape? We present ideas on how to think about the urban built environment in relation to how spaces and the city itself can be seen as using dresses to become what it wants, and how we can re-dress it so it becomes what we want (And what we want is a radically inclusive pluralistic vivid non-coherent non-patriarchal living city).
Occupy Wall Street: Carnival Against Capital? Carnivalesque as Protest Sensibility by curator Claire Tancons. Online link: http://www.indypendent.org/2011/10/19/ows-carnival-vs-capital/
There Is Some Accounting For Taste in Objects Journal of Applied Art, Berlin, Issue 4, 2010 Craft Poetry. by The New Beauty Council.
The New Beauty Council (NBC) is an art project and collaborative initiative that explores in which ways architecture is charged with authority, as a stage of built situations, both serving and suppressing our actions and ways of relating. Through conversations and staged situations NBC investigates how concepts of the public are constituted and how beauty and ugliness can be (re-)defined. Operating within a contemporary art scene, using artistic strategies and processes to create art projects through collaborative processes, NBC often acts as a bridge between a broad audience, research and the formal powers and grassroots initiatives. With a broad network NBC is organizing projects in which researchers, artists, technology and grassroots innovators work with designers and architects to creating visions, re-imagining sustainable futures.
- ARCHITECTURE & FEMINISMS ecologies, economies, technologies
(November 17 - 19, 2016)
- On Theory and Method 2: Architects in Formation
(February 5-6, 2015)
- On Theory and Method 3: Critical Projections
(April 12-13, 2015)
- On Theory and Method 4: Material Conditions
(April 23-24, 2015)
- On Theory and Method 1: Critical Historiography
(December 8-9, 2014)
- Architecture in Effect research members at 2014 AHRA conference
(November 13-16, 2014)
- Architecture in Effect research members at BTH conference Planning for Sustainable Urban Form
(November 12-14, 2014)
- (RE)Orientations Spring 2014
(January 27 2014)
- Seminar on Deleuze and Architecture
(5/11 2013 (1 PM - 4 PM))
- Dissertation event: Jan Hietala
- Methodology Seminar
- Architecture's Red Tape, Midway Seminar of Erik Sigge
(April 24, 2013)
- Open House, One-Year Seminar of Brady Burroughs
- Rethinking the Social in Architecture
- Kenneth Frampton, "The Legacy of Alvar Aalto"
- New Beauty Council at Gallery Index
- Mid-Way Project Seminar
- The Gothenburg Midterm Seminars
- Creative Writing Workshop
- SRE Effect Seminar
- Stockholm Starting Seminars
- Yvonne P. Doderer: "Right to the City"
Call for abstracts - Deadline April 15: Architecture & Feminisms
Architecture in Effect organizes workshops On Theory and Method
Architecture in Effect organizes seminar on Theory and Method at KTH Dec 8-9, 2014
Architecture in Effect at 2014 AHRA conference in Newcastle